Happy New Year to you all! I hope everyone had a wonderful Xmas season. I have no clue where 2014 went to but somewhere along the way it came and went. I finally had an opportunity to sit down today and get into my play room and work on my art journal again. Pinterest is all great but I needed to get in there and get my fingers messy! It has been so long since I have been able to find time to get in there and I had a blast. As per my usual, I had no clue what I was going to do until I got in there, and even then I still had no clue what I was doing or where I was going with the pages. LOL But I guess that is what makes art journaling so personal and unique. :)
My first page started with some strips of washi tape including down the spine and some Lyndy Stamp Gang sprays. Last summer I found a whole pile of really cute napkins, I'm a sucker for napkins and I wanted to use them in my art work. So, I took one of my napkins and separated the layers. I used my matte medium and sealed down the images that I had torn into pieces to use throughout the page. I love how you can't see the seams anywhere, the napkin vanished and all that was left was the images. So cool! I then took some white embossing paste and a stencil to create some texture around the page and then found another stencil to use and I used my Wendy Vecchi gold embossing paste. Stunning product. Lastly, I grabbed a back piece of the napkin and stamped on my sentiment and then sealed it down as well. This was probably one of the fasted pages I have done in a long time, and I love the end result. :)
This next page was a lot of layering because I was not feeling it at all! However, that being said I am loving the final page. :) I used a TH distress stain in old paper and stained the whole page as a starting point. Then I took one of my Crafter Workshop stencils which I used on the bottom left side and used another distress stain in Aged Mahogany. I misted the backside lightly with water and did a ghosting effect on the opposite page. I took TH distress paint in Evergreen Bough and made a few swipes vertically on the right side and some circles on the left to mimic florals. So far, looking horrendous! I then did a white wash gesso over top to soften the effect and I was loving it. The circles smudged slightly which was cool cause it created a bit more color texture. The gesso also picked up some of the Old Paper stain and it created some greenish hues as well. I went back over the circles again with more paint. I swiped some Age Mahogany distress paint onto some paper and cut out a heart for the right side. And I used my punch to make the smaller hearts. Painted them and adhered. I used gelatos in Chocolate to shade around the hearts. I pulled out my Christy Riopel stencil and some Wendy Vecchi black embossing paste and placed the word Adore down the side of the page over the heart. I wasn't so sure about my placement but just decided to go for it and I love how it looks. I had to use several mediums of white for highlighting around the work because of all the products I used varied and not all the pens worked in all areas, so the white effect was created with my Uniball gel pen, my Fabre Castel pitt pen, a white charcoal pencil and a Sharpie white water based pen. That was a challenge. Next I took white and black dimensional paints and added swirls around the blue circles and some highlights on the big heart. I also used the fine writing tip and wrote the words peace, love and harmony on the left with the dimensional paints. I took my newest favorite stencil and my Ferro in Iron and created some more texture. Yes... I am loving this page.
My last page... ohhhhhh....the challenge. I wanted to do a resist with gesso. So I grabbed a stencil I bought at Michael's a while back and gesso'd on the plain paper on both sides. Then I took some Lyndy Stamp Gang sprays in a soft pastels and sprayed the colors over the page. I took a baby wipe to remove the color from the gesso'd flower. OK... not bad. Now what! I decided to pull out my Twinkling H2O's and color over the gesso for the flowers. WHOA.... nope. Well, let's try spraying more over top! OhOH...it reactivated the whole page and there was so serious bleeding happening. Not working for me. Needed to tone that down a bunch. So I grabbed more gesso and a credit card and started to scrape the gesso on and this created some smudging and softening of the colors. Ok, now we are getting somewhere! My plan was to use the birdcage on this page. That was the only thing that I knew that I really wanted to use. So I took my birdcage stencil and some black embossing paste and created my cage. I found a canvas bird I have had for ages, colored it with distess stains, water and a brush. And stuck it down once the paste was dry. I grabbed my Dylusion leaves stamps and created greenery around the page with Archival inks. I did shading with Gelato's and charcoal pencil on the leaves and around the cage. I added my sentiment to the center of the space. I decided last minute to add a flower to the cage because I had smudged my embossing paste and made a bit of a mess... so I needed to cover it up. Don't mind the flower too much. :)
Tahdah... It felt so good to get creative again. Even when things don't always turn out the way you think they might. It's late and past my bedtime. :) Have a wonderfully creative year and I hope to see and hear from you as this new year goes forward!
Hugs to you all.