Proudly Canadian

Proudly Canadian

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Happy Scrapper...

This tag depicts me.  My joy, my time for solitude and reflection, my space away from everything else. 

I used mostly Tim Holtz stuff for this tag... Sewing Room die, sewing edger, pumice stone distress stain, antique linen stain, frayed burlap, gathered twigs, brushed pewter, pine needles, evergreen bough, and aged mahogany, Crafter's workshop mini houndstooth stencil, distress ink antique linen, pumice stone, black soot, walnut stain, archival inks maroon, black, potting soil, Wendy Vecchi translucent embossing paste, liquid glass, bakers twine navy, tim holtz ribbon, twine, a grey fuzzy embroidery thread from my stash, Recollections rhinestones, stamp from TH Nature walk cling mounts, and a measure tape ribbon I had in my stash as well. 

First I stained a tag with antique linen and pumice stone and misted with water to blend them together.  While that was drying, I cut the sewing edger on some thin chipboard I had from some packaging left over.  One side was a glossy white and this is the side I used to color so that the color wouldn't soak into the paper but move around and pool on the surface while it dried.  :)  The scissor was colored using brushed pewter stain and pumice stone.  I blotted the silver on, dried, then added the pumice stone, dried and did another coat of pumice stone and dried.  This gave a really cool moddled effect.  I took archival ink black and edged the scissors with a small ink dauber to define them. 

Next, I stained the buttons.  The sewing spool was done the same way as the scissors, the red button is stained in aged mahogany and then inked around the edge with black soot ink.  The green button was first stained in pine needles, dry and then evergreen bough, dry.  ink around edges with black soot ink.  The sewing spool was stained with pumice stone first by streaking it to form a grain, dry, and then go back overtop with frayed burlap in by streaking it on too.  Dry.  The long tab part is done the same as the sewing spool.  Run pumice stone by streaking it on in a full line top to bottom.  Dry.  Then take frayed burlap and streak it in one full continuous stroke top to bottom and dry.  This forms the nice wood grain effect.  :)  Then wrap some bakers twine around the spool.  I fastened it to start with a mini staple and covered it when I wrapped the twine around.  I glued the last little piece in place to hold. 

Next I cut out the pieces from the sewing room Alterations die onto some greyish cardstock similar in color to pumice stone.  I used Pumice stone distress ink and with a blending tool inked the leg and the top knob.  I blended walnut stain around the bodice.  I then inked a fine edge with black soot around the whole piece.  Next, I took the translucent embossing paste and the houndstooth stencil and stenciled over the bodice part.  Dry.  I used a heat gun to speed up the drying because I was far to impatient to wait for it to air dry.  Once dry, I took black soot distress ink and inked the bodice.  The clear embossing paste acts as a resist so I could then take a damp paper towel and rub off the black from the clear emboss and it allows the underneath color to come thru. 

Because the cardstock had a texture to it, when I added the black distress ink it gives it a real fabric look.  So cool!  I took some fuzzy embroidery thread and wrapped it around the waist.  The button was made by coloring with aged mahogany stain, inking around the edge with black soot and then covering it completely with a glaze like glossy accent or liquid glass.  When dry it has a real glass like effect.  I tied some tinsel thread thru the holes and tied.  I then added some rhinestones along the neckline to mimic a necklace. 

 The spool at the top was colored with frayed burlap distress ink and edged with walnut stain.  Then I wrapped some twine around it and glued the tail on so it wouldn't unravel.  I attached it to the top corner.  I had some ribbon that looked like a tape measure but the color was too light an ivory so I antiqued it with stains, pumice stone, frayed burlap and antique linen and water.  When dry I glued it down the side.  Next, I stamped with archival black the Fig. stamp.  And then attached the mannequin using pop dots to add some dimension.  I finished it off with some TH ribbon on top with the mini attacher. 

I think this is one of my faves so far!  :)  Mostly because looking at it bring me happiness, it is the joy that my crafting brings me.  Thanks so much for stopping by and taking a peek at what I have been up to today.  :) 

Here is a sneak peek of the jumbo tattered florals from TH that I worked on as well, and colored using Lyndi stamp gangs sprays!  They are awesome!  :)  I have no clue what I am going to do with the flower yet, but it'll be sitting there bringing me inspiration until I do.  :)


  1. Your tag is lovely Diane. It is layered beautifully. I have a sewing machine. I wish I knew how to sew. Love that huge flower;).