Proudly Canadian

Proudly Canadian

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Tim Holtz inspired tag

I absolutely love Tim Holtz.  I wish I had more access to products locally but I get what I can when I can and improvise with the multitudes of others products I have on hand.  Sometimes I feel like I'm not the most creative person on the planet so I really drawn inspiration from all you other crafty folk out there.  I love Pinterest to grab a hold of some inspiration.  This tag I made is using mostly Tim Holtz stuff and was inspired by his techniques. I love way the bright colors came thru. 


I used the Distress stains in faded jeans, barn door, and mustard seed.  Smooshed (that's my official term, LOL) them onto my craft sheet, gave them a spritz with water and then ran the tag thru it to cover.   I then took Distress Inks and blended around the edges and slightly overtop of some areas with mustard seed, broken china and festive berries.  Once I had the colors looking the way I wanted, I embossed with the Alterations embossing folder pocket watches.  I cut a slit on the top of the folder as Tim instructs in one of his tutorials so that the tag will fit thru and emboss the remaining portion of the bottom of the tag.  Works super!  Great idea and am doing this with all my folders.  Once embossed I took Distress Ink vintage photo and ran it overtop the raised portions with his blending tool and inked the edges as well.  I then used the Life's Possibilities stamp and stamped the rain man and took Distress embossing powder in walnut stain to give him some texture.  I roughly cut out Mr. Rain man and used broken china and vintage photo inks to color in the white areas.  I then stamped the saying and cut around it with some jagged edge Fiskar shears and used the distress tool to really rough up the edges.  I then inked the edges in the vintage photo as well.  Once the inks where dry I glazed the saying with Distress crackle medium in clear rock candy and let it dry.  While that was drying, I used Studio G washi tape stamp and made the arrows.  I stamped it in black soot, then used a white gel pen to draw in little highlight lines just under each arrow for extra definition, inked the edges in broken china then vintage photo.  I used Tim's Idea-ology locket keys embellishments and a small black safety pin. I added a drop of liquid glass into the key hole which is why it looks a bit cloudy,  It wasn't dry yet when I took the photo, but it dries clear.  Assembled and added some eyelash yarn that I got super cheap at the dollar store and whallah... My tag. 

I hope you like the tag.  I sure had fun making it.  Thanks for stopping in and I hope to get a few more onto here soon so I can actually say I have a blog going on.  I'm still learning all this so I hope it doesn't take me too long to figure it out.  A work in progress!  :)  I have most of my stuff on my board on Pinterest under Diane Krause, My own Creations.  I'm going to try to bring some of them over here to post with what I used on them.  Hope I can remember!  :)  See you soon!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment